Christa Theret Interview

Christa Theret, French Beauty
Christa Theret : Interview
Here is an unique interview of Christa Theret the movie "La Brindille" (= The Twig). Enjoy!
What did you like in the script of "La Brindille" ?
I reckon the topic is taboo and difficult to deal with. What I enjoy is the way the character was created. I think there is no self-pity or pathos that one can find in some French films. The film has a sort of sunny  with a good pace. One neither feel sorry for the main character nor judge him. 

How would you describe your character Sarah?
She is is quite of a lonewolf who is engrossed into art. One can imagine she did not know her father and that her mother was not there in her life, maybe because she worked until late at night. She learned how to get by in life quickly. She became independent  and determined. Sarah has been pregnant for 6 months but she is still slim. She is going through a denial of her pregnancy. Even when she becomes aware of it, she rejects the child. She is a self-driven woman who will not be influenced by others in her choice not to keep the baby.

When you play the character, what was the most difficult aspect of iher you have to deal with?
Sarah internalizes things a lot. I do it too but I'm more lively and I talk faster. Sarah is more into contemplation, internalization when Christa is more into internalizing first before she speaks. The challenge for me was to stay calm.

Christa Théret with Emmanuelle Millet

When you say Christa, it looks like you also play a character as an actor...
As a human being especially. Yes I do because people are characters at the end. Everyday life is made of little roles.

How did you prepare yourself for the character ? Did you meet women who gave birth to their babies anonymously?
I went with Emmanuelle Millet (ndlr director) to see a woman who went through a pregnancy denial. I had a very intuitive and spontaneous approach to the character. Sarah is astonished when she heard that she was pregnant. I had to keep this spontaneity and avoid to intellectualize it above all. I have liberty for the part in a way as everything was already written down in the script. I did not want to overplay the part.

In "Lol" and "Et toi, t'es sur qui?"(=And you, who are you into?), you played teenagers. Since 2010 in "Le Bruit des glaçons" (with Jean Dujardin), "Mike" and "La Brindille" (=The twig), you play characters who make their first steps in the grown ups world.
Yes because after "Lol" I wanted to go into more mature characters with more sorrow and pain. I really like "sad" parts and the dramatic side of events. It is a category of role I enjoy playing.

So Comedy is over ?
No but the future roles that I will play will remain dramatic. For now I did not read any comedy that I really like. There may be one actually but as it is not certain I will not talk about it.

How do see the future of you career?
I can't imagine it because I don't really think about it. I'm sailing from a trip to the other. I will have two film shoots with great parts. Then I want to go abroad very far, alone for 3 or 4 months to avoid to put on hold my career. The 19th of September I will start the shooting of a film by Gilles Bourdos with C.Bouquer et V.Rottiers about the last days of the Painter Renoir. We will play the the main characters. I will have to dance in the film so I am training everyday to get ready.


How would you describe French movies?
When you watch movies like "La  guerre est déclarée" (=Was has been declared) I think we do very beautiful stuff that can be remarkable. In general I enjoy French movies. However it may lack some cynicism and irony. On the other hand, every film is different and I have good surprises.

Do you feel some pressure being considered "a French movie young hope"
My parents don't belong to the cinema world neither do my friends. I don't hang out to the mundane party. But yes I still feel the pressure. On the other hand, I never ask anybody for anything. Somebody discovered me and I like what I do. Eventually I enjoy what I have. 



Interviewed by Clément Sautet
Translated by
BobbyManhattan

Instagram : robertnai

Comments

Post a Comment