Things you don't know about Jean Dujardin.

Jean Dujardin in The Artist.








Before Jean Dujardin won the Oscar for the Artist he gave a very interesting interview (August 2010). At that time, he had just finished the film "Le bruit des glaçons" by Bertrand Blier and was promoting it in France.



You turned 38 a few weeks ago. I think it is time to assess your life so far. How do you feel ?
Good. What more can I say ? I'm not having the midlife crisis yet. So about this I'm ok... I'm looking for something relevant to say but I don't find anything. I'm good. I'm very happy about the films I have done in the past few months. More particularly the one with Bertrand Blier and also those I had done with Nicole Garcia. However if I'm assessing my career,  I can not say that I have toiled and moiled. It would be scandalous for me to pretend the contrary. I don't know if I had done the right choices but I have the feeling that I made the right decisions at the right moments. I began my career in 1996-1997 at the time where a new generation of stand-up comedians were appearing on screen. I was on the right curve. Things have unfolded then. Some helping hands have been given to me. That's it.
Jean Dujardin with Dupontel.
Up to what point do you control the speed and the way you're moving forward ?
I'm riding a galloping horse. I have to take up the reins. Sometimes the horse rides away. When a film is big I'm expecting to become an icon or a trademark myself. The most important thing is not to get lost in all this. From the moment I can get back into my life outside the spotlights I can put things into perspective and never be fooled by the things that are being said about me. I know when to slow down. I stay behind the baseline and observe. And above all since I'm made this way, I have doubt and fear. At the beginning of my career I felt distressed whereas today I take it as an advantage that is to be happy on each set like the first time.
I might say that you also have the choice to say yes or no unlike many other actors.
Yes but there is the other side of the coin : I have to track interesting projects, unique ones and not content myself with what I've already done before. But nothing is easy. It took a year and a half to edit Blier's film and I don't really know why.  That is absurd... this is Bertrand Blier! He is a man who did some good for the cinema industry. I admit that the mixture of comedy and cancer frightens people but there is hope, love, dialogues, Blier's touch in the movie...
When you were playing alongside with Albert Dupontel, have you thought of the duet Depardieu-Dewaere that Bertrand Blier has shooted befrore ?
Not really. But from time to time, Bertrand reminded us of it because according to him we were "badboys" like them and share the same energy. However Albert and I were working with instinct. Not an intellectual approach, so as a result not listed nor ranked. Bertrand was ok with it. You know a film is a strange thing. Before it gets on screen and mass distribution, a film is a team. A team that looks at each other, works together in the corner without any true connection with the "outside world". It is an object that needs to be sharpened and polished so it can look good. That's why what happens outside the spotlights is important. The feeling, the mood and spirit. For Bertrand it was essential. For example, the priority was put on food. It was something cultural to him that comes from his father [Bernard]. He makes you forget he is Blier. He does not come on set with his medals on. But he is very impressive. the chap does not talk much. He always has his pipe on like a philosophy teacher. He invites you to his house and makes you listen to his music. He is very discreet. Me too so I'm ok with that. We see each other and eat fried kidney.
Dujardin with Christa Theret, le Bruit des glaçons by Bertrand Blier
Wow, you are the kidney type?
Yes... but fried kidney with mustard not with coarse salt. Add some little potatoes. I also like animals' foot and tripe...
Let's talk about something else. On the poster draft [the typography has changed eversince] Blier's name is much bigger than Dupontel and Dujardin. Irritating, isn't it ?
Yes but he won the Oscar for "Préparez vos mouchoirs"[Get out you handkerchiefs 1978]. We are no match for him. I have deep respect for him. Sometimes, to make fun of us he reminded us of the Oscar. He has been to Hollywood with John Wayne and Cary Grant ! It is impressive.
The fact is you have never even won the Cesar (French Oscar) only a nomination for OSS 117 [A James Bond parody] . Is it frustrating?
You are talking about an old topic. Tragedy versus comedy. I have no opinion about it. This year I did a Blier's film. It was a comedy and I  also did a drama with Nicole Garcia. I liked the screenplays. That's it. I will always be faster than the people who try to pigeon hole people. I don't like habits. I want to learn. For instance I remember some Blier's saying such as wanting to take some life out of me. Directors often asked me to create. Blier wanted me to get closer to the "bone" that is to myself. To him I say yes.
Are you afraid of tomorrow that everything could collapse. 
Yes since my energy comes from doubt. I always think of death.
Without going up to this point I mean ...
Of course yes! One have to think about it. That makes me do things right. To be conscious about the moment I'm living now. After that as far as my work is concerned : I don't see why I would be spared not having to cross the desert. The only way to cross it is to keep in mind that one will never stay on a pedestal forever. I'm not at the top I'm on a stairwell I go up then I go down again. It's been 38 years that I've been living with myself. I think I know who I am and where I want to go.
Where ?
Straight forward. Nothing else. I like this Berber proverb : "When you don't know where you're going look at where you come from." I have never wanted to do anything else than being an actor. I come from one direction and I keep moving on this track.
Young Dujardin
If you try to think back to the moment you decided you wanted to become an actor, when was it?
Very early but not consciously. I was being an actor more than thinking about becoming one. I played in the school yard to entertain my friends in a very childish way. 
So it was like the film Calmos by Blier revisited by a seven year old brat!
I had four brothers I was a pervert. My teachers were worried about me. I was very shy. For that reason when I was playing, I was existing. For when you play you have the attention on you. But thinking about doing it as a professional job, never ! As a grown up I realized I enjoyed it and that I managed to make people laugh. Later on, when I had a round in a cellar club I earned almost nothing but I was happy. I was dreaming about motion pictures like many actors do but without being obscessed about it. I wrote sketches, I was moving on. I never took any acting lessons. I trusted myself.
Uggie, the dog in the Artist.
Tania Balachova, a comedian and a drama professor said that all big actors are shy. Do you share this point of view?
In any case there are a lot people who have hang-ups in this branch. Little by little one opens his door. Learning how to let go and suffer happily. Finally, not acting anymore. I can see that for big old actors. I worked with Michel Duchaussoy. Only one take. Perfect. It was disturbing by its simplicilty like a second skin. Not overplayed. One has to seek the none acting state. Or on the contrary overplay but in an unabashed way. Like in OSS117 (French James bond parody). My casual job was to create. But an actor is inconstant. Sometimes I'm not here. And yet when I hear "Lights! camera!" I have to be here. Everybody is looking at you. I have to give. Sometimes I'm not good, sometimes I can move mountains. It is not arrogance, it is about the desire to play. To be ready in the moment. To do this you need to know how to be on standby. To stop playing and rest like fallow land does.
It is easy for you to say this. You are one of the most famous French actor...
You have an outside point of view but in reality you don't know what I'm thinking of myself if I'm assessing my life.
Here we are ! We're going back to the midlife crisis..
I can be very harsh about myself. When I hear that I'm one of the most popular actor it is like reading my horoscope : I take it, it's good for your ego. Then I leave it. I did movies where critics have been too easy on me. Nobody should believe that I'm happy about all my performances. One can not either think that a bad critic does not affect an actor.

Jean Dujardin with Alexandra Lamy in "Un gars une fille".
Everything began with "Un gars, une fille." (A Guy, A Girl, a comedy television series showing several vignettes of the daily life of a couple.) What memories do you have about it?
I arrived at the end of the casting. I was hesitant about going there. I was with my friends, we were doing our sketches ont TV I was good. Besides, I'm not very good at castings. But I saw the original Canadian version and I enjoyed it. It has a style that I liked. With Alex (Alexandra Lamy, the girl) there was a good artistic connection between us immidiately. Thanks to "Un gars, une fille" I played the guy in his 30s with the daily problems you have in a couple. I was in my 30s, things happenened in my life then we put in the show the next day. We have worked like crazy for 2 years. One day during a dvd-signing session I saw how big it had become. At first I was pleased then it was funny for a year. I was boasting about it. Then I got out of this. When you have seen everything there was to see, you have two options : whether you stop everything, photos, autographs then you become a fool or you take delight to please your fans. I prefer the second option. But I was not seeking it. It just arrived. To be famous is not something you plan. To do this job you have to love people. Consequently they are nice with you. Sometimes when I watch some sketches we did in "Un gars une fille" they still make me laugh. Sometimes it is really me on screen. The guy who shouts behind the wheel, it is me! When I drive I can be a fool. I'm impulsive.
Shy and impulsive then.
Yes, but both often go in pairs.
You sing the praise of slowness.
Yes. You need to stop, look , love, take your time instead of stepping on people's head.
You're being grumpy...
Yes but I'm improving. When you live with someone who is not, it helps you. I'm speaking from experience. My wife is not grumpy at all. As a result I'm more relaxed. You have everything to win when you are accomodating. I can be grumpy but only in my house.

Is Jean-Paul Belmondo still someone you look up to? 
Jean-Paul. He is free. He has been touched by God's grace. I often think about him. We see each other. We call each other. In "Les Acteurs" , Blier asked him to say : "I have never bothered anybody with my fear." That 's cool. That's him. I think an actor has to be behave like this on set. People compares me to him. I'm pleased but they remain words. A role that I recall ? I would have loved to play in "Cent Mille Dollars au soleil" to be in the truck with Blier, Ventura and speak a text by Audiard. Cool, isn't it? These guys liked each other. People can see it on screen. I think that is what actors have to look for.

Interview by E.Libiot
Translated by BobbyManhattan
Instagram : robertnai
Leave me a message in my guestbook if you like my blog!

Comments

  1. Thank you for this lovely read. How funny (though unsurprising) to find he's a wise and philosophical man, while feeding some of us what we wanted to hear: "a stupid French actor":P

    His uncomfortable fit in Clink of Ice was a valiant effort. It has paid off helping him land perfectly, the next time he took a leap, so beautifully in The Artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you destryR. I'm glad you liked it! I agree with you, in France the media rarely do "deep" work either. I like to believe that behind every man who succeeds there is something special :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment